Auto Accident Frequently Asked Questions

Injured in a car, truck or motorcycle accident? Call Richard Mather at (251) 432-2580.

1. How much will it cost to hire a car wreck lawyer

We handle personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis which means:

2. Who will I meet with at my appointment?

You will meet with Richard Mather at your appointment. Once we begin working on your case, you will be assisted by the attorney and his staff. You can always request to speak directly to the lawyer at any time.

3. What if I cannot come to your office?

If your accident prevents you from coming to our office, Mr. Mather will gladly meet you at your house, hospital or any other place you choose.

4. How can I contact you?

You can contact Richard Mather by telephone during office hours. The website contact information box is monitored 24/7. We believe that client communication is an important aspect of effective representation and we strive to provide exceptional client service.

5. Will my claim have to go to court?

Not necessarily. We begin immediately after you hire us. While you are treating with your doctor, we contact the insurance company, gather all relevant documents necessary for your case. After you have finished your treatment, we then begin negotiating with the insurance company of the driver who is at fault. If they offer an amount that we believe is fair and reasonable, we will accept that offer and you will not have to go to court to get paid. In fact, the vast majority of cases are settled without having to go to court.

6. Who is allowed to file a claim in an accident case?

Any adult who is over the age of 19, and who has been injured may file a claim. Minors and adults with mental disabilities must have their case brought through their parents or legal guardians.

If you have been injured by a careless driver and need help, call 251-432-2580 or simply fill out the case evaluation form. We are ready to help.

7. How much money is my case worth?

It’s difficult to determine the value of a case until the investigation of you accident is complete and your doctor finishes treating you. Once you have finished with your medical care we gather all the relevant information and go to work.

We will look at the following information:

In most instances, we are successful in getting the insurance company to settle your case without having to file a lawsuit. In the event that we cannot do that, Mr. Mather will then discuss with you the need to file a suit to let a judge or jury determine what your injuries are worth.

8. How long do I have to make a claim?

Alabama law gives injured victims a certain amount of time to file a claim or lawsuit. This time period is called the statute of limitations. In most cases, the law allows you between two and six years. If you are unsure how much time you have left on your claim, contact Richard Mather right away. He knows accident and injury law and can let you know what your rights are.

9. Am I allowed to change lawyers?

We believe that working with the right lawyer is important. You should feel confident in your lawyer’s abilities and in the communication he is giving you. If you decide to change lawyers, your initial lawyer may be entitled to payment for the work he did up to the point that you released him or her. The lawyer would be paid out of the fee earned at the end of your case. Your new lawyer would most likely agree to enter to a fee splitting arrangement so that you will not have to pay for two lawyers.

10. Should I get a second opinion if an attorney thinks I don’t have a case?

Always. Lawyers look at cases differently. Sometimes another lawyer will see something the other attorney missed or the second lawyer may have more experience in dealing with your type of claim. Either way, if you have been turned down, get another opinion.

11. I was injured, but I may be partly at fault. Can I still sue?

Maybe. Alabama laws do not allow you to recover if you were even partially at fault, however determining if you were actually at fault is very case specific. If you have been declared to have any level of fault, the insurance company will most likely deny your claim. Seeking the opinion of an experienced accident lawyer is critical. Call Richard Mather at 251-432-2580 today and find out if you have a claim.

12. An insurance adjuster wants to settle and says I don’t need a lawyer. Should I get a lawyer?

Never forget who the insurance adjuster works for! They work for the insurance company and not you. Their job is to settle your claim quickly and as cheaply as possible. Adjusters routinely consult with their lawyers on active cases. If they feel they need a lawyer to advise them on your case, you should have a lawyer advising you. Just because the adjuster says it’s a fair settlement doesn’t mean that it is. Talk to Richard Mather before accepting any offer from the insurance company. We’re here to protect your best interests and get you every dollar you truly deserve.

13. I was hurt in an accident, but I cannot afford to see a doctor. What can I do?

With the costs of medical care skyrocketing, accident victims find it harder to pay for the care they need, especially if you have lost time from work. Richard Mather and his staff works with doctors and medical facilities to arrange medical care for you usually with no upfront fees. The doctor will treat you for your injuries and then wait to get paid from your settlement.

14. Will my insurance rates go up if I pursue a claim or obtain a recovery?

Many injured victims like you are concerned that their insurance premiums will increase if they make a claim, but that is just not the case. If you were not at fault in the accident, your insurance rates will not go up. They will increase only if you were at fault.

To get the most for your accident, call at 251-432-2580 today to see what Richard Mather can do for you.

The call is free. The consultation is free.

Contact a personal injury lawyer
We'll never share your email with anyone else.

More Info on Auto Accidents

Cases we handle include: